Wednesday 25 August 2010

BBC History magazine September issue

The September issue has 10 places to visit for those interested in the Wars of the Roses. I've listed them in the magazine's order with their reasons in quotes. The magazine also has far more detailed descriptions and pictures.

1. Ludlow Castle, Shropshire - 'where the wars began.'

2. Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland - 'where the Lancastrians clung on'.

3. Raglan Castle, Monmouthshire - 'where Edward IV's favourite ruled'. (William Herbert)

4. Gainsborough Old Hall, Lncolnshire, - 'where civil rule continued'.

5. Tewkesbury Abbey, Gloucestershire - 'where the secnd war was won'.

6. Middleham Castle, North Yorkshire, - power base of watwick the Kingmaker and Richard III.

7. St George's Chaperl, Windsor - 'where Yorkist and Lancastrian kings flaunted their power'.

8. The Tower of London - 'where the bloodiest crimes were perpetrated'.

9. Bosworth Field, Leicestershire - 'where Richard III was slain'.

10. Westminster Abbey, London - 'where the first Tudor king built a magnificent chapel'.

I have visited all these places except number 6. Although it seems when I walked Bosworth field, I may not have walked the actual battlefield - complete with red rose (seriously!). Michael Hicks, one of my favourite 'Roses' historians, has written the article.

5 comments:

Susan Higginbotham said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this issue. Last time I was in the UK, I was doing an Edward II/Despenser tour instead of a WOTR tour, so I'm hoping to see some of these places if I can make it overseas this autumn.

Ragged Staff said...

I'll come with you, Susan! I'll definitely have to get my hands on this issue.

Kathryn Warner said...

I've been to all these places except 3, 4 and 7. Looking forward to the article, too!

Anerje said...

woo hoo! I'm still in the lead then LOL!

Ragged Staff - I still read you at the new site, but am not registered so can't comment. Love the 'King-maker and Queen' romance!:>

Gabriele Campbell said...

So many places to go, so little money. *sigh*